Dan Shorey supervises all things electrical at Turquoise Ridge; from underground to the surface.
His father was an industrial electrician and Dan also was fascinated by it. He started right out of high school and has been doing it for over 30 years. He enjoys what he does and wants to keep doing it. He even helps family members if they need help with electrical.
He has enjoyed working for Barrick because of all the opportunities it has for others and for improvement. If you thrive on challenge and collaboration in a partnership culture, Barrick offers opportunities on a global scale.
“The electrical field is very challenging and I enjoy developing other people in the trade,” said Shorey. “People interested in the trade should be strong in mathematics and be mechanically inclined and a good work ethic, as with most trades a high school diploma or the equivalent of. For recent graduates who have the potential to be future leaders at Barrick, offer a wide selection of opportunities to launch your career. I started working at the Stillwater Mine in Montana and when the opportunity came up at Turquoise Ridge I took it because I saw a better opportunity for my family.”
One thing he doesn't like about electrical is Arc flash; it is what every electrician potentially faces anytime they work on energized equipment. Working with electrical can be dangerous but he still loves to do it.
Barrick is the operator and 75% owner of the mine. Newmont Mining owns the remaining 25%. Turquoise Ridge has 15.56 grams per tonne along with the highest reserve grade in the company’s operating portfolio, and among the highest in the gold industry.
Turquoise Ridge pays salary ranges from approximately $81,000-$89,000 per year for an Underground Mining Engineer and$70,000-$76,000 per year for a Long Range Planning Mine Engineer.